Race Day Picnic
We are in need of some Posh Picnic ideas as we’re off to Newmarket Races this Saturday, for one of their special family Summer Saturdays each one is themed and has lots of things to see and do with the kids. Gutted I couldn’t go to the Greatest Showman one on the 24th of August to be honest, my kids love a sing-along, I have no idea where they get that from.
Instead we are off to the Country Fair Race-day there will be sheep shearing, welly wanging, beautiful Suffolk Punch displays and a Gun Dog demonstration, We are in the Garden enclosure where picnics are welcomed and even a bottle of fizz as long as you stick to the guidelines. I asked my lovely insta followers what they think makes the perfect race picnic and here’s what we’ve come up with!
Ok, so I’m not the most well travelled and had to google this bad boy but basically it’s a fancy omelete which I’ve been told is just as nice cold. It’s full of hidden veg so I’m hoping I can smuggle some into the life barnacles faces. The recipe I’m going to try which was sent to me, but I’ve made a few changes and substitutions based on my family’s likes and dislikes.
- 12 Eggs
- 1 courgette
- 2 bell peppers
- red onion
- spring onion
- Cheese (Ive got some spanish manchego)
- fresh parsley
- whole milk
- Cut all the veg into bite size chunks and roast for 20 mins with some oil, im using garlic oil, dont forget to flip halfway through.
- Whisk the 12 eggs with half a cup of whole milk and season
- Empty the roasted veg in a flattish oven proof tray ( I used a lasagne dish) and poor over the egg mixture, sprinkle over the fresh parsley and a few handfuls of cheese.
- pop in the oven 170c for about 30 mins until set all the way through and starting to puff up.
Cheese and Bacon Pin Wheels
Next up, I’m going to make my kids favourite, Cheese and Bacon Pin Wheels, this is a no brainer so easy and scrummy, granted it’s not a healthy option, but hey, that’s what token carrot and cucumber sticks are for. All you need is Bacon ( thin cut or streaky works best) Jus rol puff pastry sheets and Cheese!
- Puff pastry
- Unroll puff pastry and lay bacon in strips leaving edges free.
- Grate cheese and layer on top.
- Roll up into a log and using a sharp knife cut into inch sections
- Lay flat on baking tray and place in oven for about 20 mins on 180c ( ovens may vary)
- Make sure wheel is cooked through before eating
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
last but not least for desert we’ve pipped for Chocolate Covered Strawberries, so easy the kids can help and also create their own variations with sprinkles,nuts or even googly eyes.
We did make a lot of mess ( as you can see) but had a lot of fun too and these are going to go down a treat with my chilled Prosecco.
- Strawberries (from Fridge)
- Chocolate ( we used milk and white)
- Sprinkles, nuts or whatever you fancy
- Melt chocolate in microwave with a bit of oil, remember to stir.
- Take Strawberries from fridge and dip away (chocolate will stick better and you might be able to double dip 🤤).
- Place on grease proof paper and decorate if desired ( I tried drizzling the white chocolate over the milk which looked nice) The kids just chucked sprinkles. 🙄
- Return to fridge to set.
Well I Hope that’s been useful, go to my instagram stories to see how we managed to get this messy and please do let me know how you got on with the recipes. I might take a while to respond from my private beach in Bali, bought with all my winnings from Saturdays race, but do keep trying. Hope I see some of you crumblers there.